Hello and welcome back to my blog!
I've decided to do something a little different this time around; I've updated and bought together some old reference material that I wrote, added some interactive demos and expanded on the diagrams. I hope that the result will serve as an accessible introduction to vector mathematics for games programmers.
- Scalars are written in lower case: a, b, c
- Vectors are written in upper case: A, B, C
- Matrices are written in bold upper case: A, B, C
- |a| mean abs(a), the absolute value of scalar a
- ||A|| means magnitude, or length of the vector A
- ? means vector A is unit length
- Matrices are in row-major order, which means the rows are left to right in the matrix
- MT means the transpose of M
This is designed to be read in the following order:
But of course you can just use it as reference material.
Multiplying two matrices
Rotating a matrix from world space into object space
Rotating a matrix from object space into world space
Transform point from world space into object space
Transform point from object space into world space
Inverse of a matrix
Determinant of a matrix
Until next time, have fun!